April is one of the most beloved months of the year. The weather is irresistibly pleasant, flowers are in full bloom, the sun is pleasantly warm. Hearts are filled with excitement and anticipation for the summer and we cannot but rejoice in the wonderful weather and all the opportunities it presents us with from mini excursions to picnics and trips to nearby sights and cities.
But beside being a promising month for a fresh beginning full of joy and potential, there is so much more to April that meets the eye. So let’s dig in to discover some fun facts about April!
– The oh-so-shining diamond is the birthstone for April. Perhaps the most famous birthstone poem is that by Tiffany & Co:
“She who from April dates her years, Diamonds shall wear, lest bitter tears. For vain repentance flow; this stone, emblem of innocence, is known.”
– If you were born in April you’re either an Aries or a Taurus.
– With flowers in full swing, it’s no surprise that the birth flowers of April are the daisy and the sweet pea!
– Apart from warm weather, April is full notable for pranks, as April 1 is April Fool’s Day. But there’s more: the whole month is Humor Month, testament to just how fun April would be if it were a person. Who wouldn’t want to hang out with April? I know I would.
– April 22 is the International Earth Day, a day full of celebrations and initiatives that focus on raising awareness on environmental issues.
– April’s name is the most appropriate one. April more likely derives from the Latin verb ‘aperire’ which mean ‘to open’, a clear reference to the act of blossoming that takes place throughout nature.
– Famous poets and artists were born in April, including English poet William Wadsworth on April 7, Leonardo da Vinci on April 15, and English literary giant, William Shakespeare, who was born on April 23 in 1564.
– Several month-long observances take place in April, including Autism Awareness Month, Rape Awareness Month, National Poetry Month, and Parkinson’s’ Disease Awareness month, observed in the US and internationally.
– April is Jazz Appreciation Month
– In the US, April is National Child Abuse Prevention month and the month for Sexual Assault Awareness.
– One of the most well-known songs about April is ‘April in Paris’ sung by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong. Other great songs about April are “April Showers” by Sugarland and “Sometimes it Snows in April” by Prince.
– April and July begin on the same day of the week every year.
– The famous Titanic sunk on April 15, 1912.
– The New Year in Thailand, Laos, Burma, and Cambodia is celebrated on April 13.
– Another nerdy fact about April is that the latter begins on the same day of the week as January did in the previous year. During a leap year and the year after a leap year, April’s last day is on the same day of the week as January of the previous year.
Is there a special occasion or event celebrated in April in your country? Share it with us!
Check out Typesy Community and exchange ideas related to touch typing, keyboarding, learning, technology, and Typesy program itself. Login with your Typesy Account here: