How would you feel if you found out there’s a way to improve your typing skills at the same time you’re practicing your English? Sounds pretty great, right?
School assignments and hefty schedules, extracurricular activities, and even your social responsibilities can overwhelm you. That’s why it’s important to come up with effective and time-efficient study methods, like improving two skills in a single practice, or leveraging existing knowledge when you learn a new skill.
For instance, if you want to learn Italian, your proficiency and knowledge of Spanish will give you a head start.Since both languages belong to the same language family of Indo-European languages, there are many similarities in vocabulary, spelling, pronunciation, and grammar, such as their use of the gerund.
With the thought of multitasking in mind, why not use a computer during your your next English practice session? If you’re working on new vocabulary, find a vocabulary game you can play online. If you’re working on your spelling, there are several spelling activities you can use to practice for free and at the same time hone your typing speed and accuracy.
The best thing about this plan is that you don’t really need to worry about typing correctly or quickly when you practice your English skills. All you need to do is focus on the activity at hand and the aspects of the English language you’re concentrating on, and at the sametime – without any extra effort – your typing skills will improve, too!
Next time you need to work on your mastery of English as a whole why not do one of the following?
1) Publish a blog post using some of the new words you’ve learned recently.
2) Write a short essay or a few paragraphs about something you care about or are interested in.
3) Be active on several social media platforms on topics you want to share your opinion on.
4) Help others by providing answers to their questions. You can do this on Yahoo Answers, Wiki Answers, and even Twitter.
In fact, Twitter will help you hone your vocabulary quickly, since you will be expected to form your remarks in 140 characters or less – and that will help you practice finding exactly the right words!
* Find online photos you like and share them with your friends. Even better, upload some of your own photos and share with those instead. The catch is to create attention-grabbing and funny captions, another great way to use your newly-expanded vocabulary.
These are just a few of the activities you can use to improve your English skills and improve your typing performance at the same time, without feeling like you’ve put too much of an effort into it.
What’s your favorite study hack that lets you study English while simultaneously benefiting in other ways?
Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments